In areas with high moisture like bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms, mold and mildew are common issues. If left unaddressed, these small patches can rapidly spread out of control, damaging both your home and your own health. Pay attention to the following warning signs and act quickly to keep these problems under control:
- Musty smells: Your nose knows best, and a musty odor is often the first sign of a mold or mildew problem. You may notice this scent in your basement, attic, or crawl space, as well as any rooms where moisture is common.
- Water leaks: Damp spots on walls or ceilings can be signs of water leaks that, if left unaddressed, can become breeding grounds for mold and mildew.
- Discoloration: Any unplanned changes in color to your walls or ceiling paint jobs should be cause for concern, as it is often a sign of mold and mildew taking hold in that spot.
- Dark stains: An early sign of mold and mildew, keep your eyes peeled for dark spots in your bathroom, especially on tiling.
- Mold-related health issues: Sudden wheezing, coughing, itching or watery eyes, and unexplained rashes can be signs of mold nearby. Pay attention to your own health and take action as necessary.
- Dampness: A damp basement can predispose your home to mold and mildew, which is a particular concern for homes that have experienced flooding in the past. Take steps to check for contamination before things spread out of control.
- Standing water: Like general dampness in the home, the presence of standing water can predispose the property to mold and mildew. Research ways to improve drainage and check for puddles after heavy rain.
Like many issues, the sooner mold and mildew is addressed, the easier it will be to fix. If you suspect things are already beyond your control, call a mold remediation expert to find out what your next steps should be.